Annabella Sciorra gives me her number

500-Weeks #10

Annabella Sciorra finding a copy spot.

I am at the Toronto International Film Festival, heading into the last interview for the day. The writer  - Alex Patterson – and I have 20 minutes scheduled with actress Annabella Sciorra, who is doing press for “The Funeral”. In those minutes, he will conduct an interview, and I will take her photo, which will run in an article in the newspaper we are working for when the film is released locally. We arrive in the hotel room first and are discussing that evening party and event plans.

The PR handler arrives with Ms. Sciorra, who appears to be a bit miffed. We introduce ourselves and she proceeds to tell us of the difficulties she had with the previous interviewer. Apparently they took issue with her outfit, claiming it inappropriate, as the top was too small, for it revealed to top of her bra. She took umbrage with this line of commenting. Where did the interviewer get off passing judgement on her styling? Didn’t the previous interviewer think she knew what she was doing? This outfit was by Dolce & Gabbana. They know what they are doing. This is the look they were after.

Annabella Sciorra in Dolce & Gabbana

She then turned to us and asked: What do you think of the look? Do you think my top is too small?

I have learned many thinks as a photographer, tops among them: Be a gentleman, have manners, look the subject in the eyes and be clear in my directions to them. One of the habits I am quite sure I should not have is to check out and comment on the cleavage coverage of the photo subject.

But apparently, today was a different moment. Today I was standing in the middle of an ‘80s era sex farce, and the lead performer has just asked us to drop our eyes down a ways and to comment. Alex and I pause, umm a bit  and then oblige.

“Looks great to me” “Nothing wrong there” “You look great” “Can’t imagine what their problem was” come the responses. A George Costanza moment of ever there was one.

That out of the way, Ms. Sciorra relaxes and makes herself comfortable. She is stylishly dressed, ready and eager to talk about her film and to have her picture taken. At some point, she decides to sit on the floor and enjoy a coffee and a cigarette.

A very relaxed interview subject

For Ms. Sciorra, this is also the last interview of the day. She is enjoying herself, she asks if we are in a rush? “Not at all” we respond. Have to say, I have had many an interview cut short, but running extra long is a rare occasion indeed.

Ms. Sciorra is a very willing photo subject, and I went through more than the usual number of set ups. As a photographer, you know when your subject is giving you a great performance. This was one of those times.

As we are wrapping up, Ms. Sciorra declares: “I want to see these pictures.” These were all taken on film, so they have to be developed before I can show them to anyone. My response is “Sure. How do I get a hold of you?” She responds with a phone number, which I write down.



I have photographed many performers in my life, and this is one of the very few times one of them has asked to see the images. 

A few weeks go by, the Festival ends and I take care of all the film developing and time in the darkroom making contact sheets and prints for the newspaper. Eventually I sit in my kitchen, dig out the phone number and dial away, assuming it will be a manger or PR person. I try to get my story straight n my head so I can explain why I am trying to make personal contact with their client. 

No one answers the phone, but I get an answering machine, and I heard Ms. Sciorra’s voice “Hi, it’s Annabella, leave me a message.” I hear the little click and that distinctive “beep” at which point I am supposed to start talking, but I’m suddenly speechless. This isn’t some PR firm or manager's office. She gave me her home phone number. I try to focus, and start talking, “Uhhhh, hi, this is Steven, the photographer in Toronto, you said you wanted to see the photos….. etc., etc, and I leave my phone number. 



A day or so later, Ms. Sciorra called me back from a hotel in – if I remember correctly, Colorado - where she was working on another movie. She is talkative again, and we start having a conversation. I’ve worked on film crews, so I ask how the location is and how the work is going. We talked for over 20 minutes. She gave me the address of the hotel and I shipped her a selection of prints and maybe the contact sheets. I don’t remember exactly. 

A couple of days later she calls me back to say thanks. She had received the photo package and she liked them. Very nice gesture on her part. Which is the last I heard from Annabella Sciorra.

I still have the phone number. Wonder if it still works?




Technical details - Rectangular photos: Nikon FM2 with 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8 and/or 85mm f/2.0 AIs lenses using Agfa APX 400 B&W negative film and Fuji Reala colour negative film. Square photos: Rolleiflex TLR with 75mm f/3.5 Schneider Xenar lens and outfitted with a Beattie Intenscreen ground glass using Agfapan APX 400 B&W negative film.

B&W film developed in Accufine.

Lighting: available light as well as an off-camera Vivitar 285HV powered with an external Lumedyne mini-cycler and bounced into an umbrella.

Comments

Popular Posts