Sarah McLachlan sticks her tongue out

500-Weeks #16 

Sarah McLachlan and Kim Stockwood
messing around at the 1995 MuchMusic Video Awards in Toronto, Canada

Before the internet, every city used to have it’s own newspaper – if not several - and each one made sure it covered a wide variety of interests in order to attract the widest possible audience. There was the serious news, but there were also sections devoted to Sports, Travel, Music, The Arts, Entertainment, etc. Many of the papers also had a social columnist.

The section of society a social column would cover and its’ approach to reporting varied widely and usually reflected the publications main readers. Some columnists only attended big money corporate events with the black tie crowd, others kept their sights on the downtown artsy crowd and it’s bohemian members. Some reported on gossip heard, and others just stuck to reporting on who was seen.

Through a strange turn of events, I – a detail oriented introvert - became a social columnist. Eye Weekly started publishing in October 1991 and I became a contributing photographer by issue #2. About a year into the paper’s existence, it had been through two columnists and the editors were unhappy with both of them. Not sure why, I wasn’t part of that discussion, what I was, however, was the recipient of a phone call.

Singer Kim Stockwood and producer/director Paula Virany
in front of the portable Speakers Corner booth 

One of the editors phoned and asked if I wanted to cover events for them. Night club openings, awards shows, opening night of plays, album release parties, arts shows, that sort of thing. The editors would decide what events I would cover, my job would be to go to three events a week, take the photos and gather the names. The editor said they knew what I could do photographically, and they were willing to take care of the text.

After catching my breath – multiple weekly assignments? A steady income? Are you kidding me? – I said yes. And thus, EyeSpy was born.

I thought up the name and was trying to think up what my approach would be, because within a few days, I was out in the world, executing the plan. I went to the events they picked out and wrote down all the names of the people I photographed. While I was in the Laundromat on Sunday night, I wrote up the column, as I wanted to see it. A bit brash, a bit sarcastic, with all the relevant details reported.

Singer Kim Stockwood and producer/director Paula Virany
Kim really can't keep a straight face for the camera



























On Monday, I went in to the office and the art director and I chose the photos that the paper was going to use. I then incorporated all the names of the people in the photos into what I had worked out the night before and turned it in for the editor’s approval. Other then being told it was too long, they loved it and wondered why I didn’t tell them I could write previously. My response “It’s hard enough trying to convince a new publication you can do one thing well, don’t try and convince them you can do two!” 

They were happy with the copy I turned in and relieved to not have to do any extra writing. For the next three years, I was a man about town,  “the Eye guy”, the man with the camera, and notepad, taking pictures and names. Working as both photographer and writer, my weekly EyeSpy column was a hit, attracting both readers and advertisers, who wanted to their ads placed next to my column. 

I was interested in the creative crowd: actors, artists, musicians and performers, usually downtown, usually with little money. I wanted young and cool. No corporate types, no politicians.  I was convinced that my hometown of Toronto, Canada had as many awesome artists and interesting characters as New York and LA, but they just couldn’t get any attention because of national media bias. So my niche would be to aim my little spotlight on them. These were my people and I would introduce them to the world.

Singers Sarah McLachlan and KIm Stockwood
getting goofy at the 1995 MuchMusic Video Awards


My approach came into shape quickly, never write about an event I did not go to, and never go to events that will not be in the column.  Only photograph people who are interested in having their photo taken, write no speculative gossip. The audience for the column – if they were at the right event – had a great chance at appearing in the column. The art director chose photos of people doing outrageous things – like sticking their tongues out – and pretty soon, I had club goers who would think up nutty things do, in case we were at the same party, knowing that if they were outrageous enough, their photo might get printed.

In the pre-internet era, getting your photo in the paper was a big, big deal.

Many events were one time only events, some were annual. One of the annual events that I really enjoyed was the The Canadian Music Video Awards, or CMVAs. Re-named in 1995 to the MuchMusic Video Awards – MMVAs – it was as much a party as an awards show. MuchMusic is the Canadian music video station, and their headquarters are in downtown Toronto on Queen St West. The whole building – referred to as The Much environment - was wired and lit for the TV cameras. For the award show they closed the parking lot for a week and built a few stages. They would take over the whole block and invite the public to watch the main stage performances from behind the parking lot fence. Inside the main building – where access was controlled - the guests and hosts and media would wander all over as the party took over the whole environment.

Singers Sarah McLachlan and Kim Stockwood
having a laugh at the 1995 MuchMusic Video Awards
There was nothing else like it. Canadian music was in a tremendously inventive, creative phase and the annual MMVAs reflected that. It was a free-form TV show, live off the floor and most of it was ad-libbed. I have observed that a party cannot be truly fun until the guests let their guard down, and the set-up for this event – and the complementary drinks - always lowered the attendee’s personal guards.  

For a media photographer with an inside pass, there were no restrictions. There were guests roaming the halls and various studios. Crowds would gather at the different events performed for the live TV cameras. I knew many of the musicians in attendance from other events and they knew my column, because they were the target audience. Everyone at the event was there for the media exposure. I would even get called over by performers I knew: “Hey, Steven – take our picture!” It doesn’t get better than that. Always a fun night.

This moment I was in the parking lot outside. I set up a photo with singer Kim Stockwood and “Speakers Corner” director Paula Virany. Kim started making faces while I was taking their photo. Ms. Virany left and in walked Sarah McLachlan, who stuck her tongue out at Ms. Stockwood. Then, they both stuck their tongues out at each other. 

Finally, I did get the photos their mom’s will like, with both of them smiling. The lesson? Always take more than one photo. Of course, the image with both of their tongues out was the one that was published in the paper.

Singers Sarah McLachlan and Kim Stockwood
getting friendly at the 1995 MuchMusic Viceo Awards
In that moment, I wondered if their mothers’ reaction was the same as mine would have been: “Why did you have to do that? Why can’t you just smile for the camera?” Because mom, that photo would never have gotten chosen for publication. It doesn’t stand out enough.

This clip from 1999 will give you a sense of the scale of the block party. Jump to the 1:16 mark for the outside shots: 

Check out Kim Stockwood's hit, "Jerk":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sVWOrhxpZk


Technical stuff: Nikon FM2n camera with 28mm f/2.8 E Series lens using Fuji Super-G 400 ISO colour negative film. Lighting is a mix of the available light and a Vivitar 285HV on-camera flash.

Comments

Popular Posts