Clint Eastwood makes my day

500 Weeks # 28 


Clint Eastwood flashes his movie star smile in Toronto, September 1990. Marisa Berenson looks on from the background. 

As mentioned in the last entry, I was attending The Toronto International Film Festival as an accredited member of the media with a newfound focus on photography. I had one client, not too many assignments and therefore, time on my hands.

I decided to use up some of the free time taking photos of subjects who caught my attention and interest. To this end, I made sure to study the schedule in the media room to understand who might be attending. 

According to that schedule, “White Hunter, Black Heart” was going to be screened at the Elgin and Winter Garden Theatre, and Clint Eastwood – the film’s producer, director and star – was going to be in attendance to introduce it. Well, I was very interested in that possibility. Few performers are as iconic as Mr. Eastwood. 

There was a stage at the front of the theatre, and my first instinct was to try and get as close to the stage as possible. This is a very common practice when photographing live bands. The photographer doesn’t get the view blocked by the crowd, and can use a wide-angle lens to take in the whole band. The wide angle gives some - or a lot - of visual distortion, which, with a band, can result in photos with an interesting look.

With a single movie star though? Didn’t work out so well. I was basically looking up at Mr. Eastwood's chin and nostrils, which is not a good look for anyone. I quickly retreated back a few steps and zoomed in. Much more flattering, and a lesson I carried forward.

I had no client for these photos and didn’t take many frames, only managing to capture one good photo of Mr. Eastwood, and one his co-stars, Marisa Berenson, who was also in attendance.

Marisa Berenson makes an appearance Toronto, September 1990.
These photos have never been published before. 

Technical stuff: Nikon FE camera with a Tamron SP 70-150mm f/2.8 lens and a Vivitar 285HV flash. Shot on Kodak T-MAX 400 B&W negative film processed in T-MAX developer. 

#clinteastwood, clinteastwoodfans01, clint.eastwood.fans, clinteastwood, clint_eastwood_fanpageclinteastwood_fans, #vintage, #analog, #analogfilm, #analogphotography, #film, #filmcamera, #filmphotography, #kodak, #nikon, #Tamron, #B&W, #90s, #tmax400,

Comments

Popular Posts